Welcome and thank you for being a part of #tptSMsurge. The Surge began Wednesday, July 22nd. If you missed the start, check out this post here.
Each Wednesday, we share what to do for the week as we focus on a specific social media platform. On Thursdays, we discuss technology tips. On Fridays, we highlight people to follow as "mentors" on each type of social media. We give you the weekends off and then on Mondays, we talk about how to vary your postings and content. On Tuesdays, we think back on our progress for the week. So what to do this week?
Step 1: Focus on Instagram
If you are like me, you likely struggle with staying on top of social media: what to post, when, how often, and how to reach your intended audience. As to not get overwhelmed, this week will be all about Instagram. If you don't have an account yet, you will want to create one. You will also want to consider if you want to have an account just for you as a teacher/TPTer separate from you as a person, or if you are comfortable mixing the two.
Whether you are new and clueless or feeling like an expert on Instagram, you will just be focusing on the checklist for Instagram on the TPT Social Media Planner & Weekly Checklist. The checklist is broken down into what you "must," "should," and "could" do each week. Start from the top, work your way down, and don't feel defeated if you don't get to everything. Remember those are just things you could do.
Step 2: Check Back in the Facebook Group
Look for these postings throughout the week in the TPT Social Media Surge Facebook group for more information about how to best utilize Instagram.
Step 3: Join in our Twitter Chat
Last Wednesday we hosted a Twitter chat to kick off #tptSMsurge. We were planning on just hosting again at the end of the four weeks. Many of you were disappointed that we wouldn't be chatting each. week, so we said why not do it every week?! Join us again tonight, Wednesday July 29th, at 9pm EST. This week we'll be focusing on some of the top questions (general and Facebook related) you shared with us on our Google Form.
9:00 Intros - Share your name, store name, and links to your social media (FB, Pinterest, IG). #tptSMsurge
9:05 Q1 - Many people asked "what form of social media is most important to my TPT business?" What are your thoughts? #tptSMsurge
9:15 Q2 - You asked "how do I schedule FB posts, hold giveaways, do flash freebies?" Caitlin answered: http://bit.ly/1KmgIQI How did that help you? Any other tips? #tptSMsurge
9:25 Q3 - You asked "how do I gain followers?" Lauren shared two FB pages with 20k+ followers: http://bit.ly/1gRYvAQ How did that help you? Any other tips? #tptSMsurge
9:35 Q4 - You asked "what do I post on FB?" Kelli gave 25 examples: http://goo.gl/uRJqz4 How did that help you? Any other tips? #tptSMsurge
9:45 Q5 - You asked "how do I look at my FB analytics?" I showed you: http://goo.gl/LfR9lq How did that help you? Any other tips? #tptSMsurge
1. Log into Twitter tonight, Wednesday, July 29th from 9-10 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #tptSMsurge in the search bar. Make sure to click “All tweets.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 9:05, I (@literarymaven) will post questions every 10 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #tptSMsurge.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #tptSMsurge.
6. Follow any TPTers responding and who are also using #tptSMsurge.
7. Favorite and respond to other TPTs' tweets.
You can schedule your responses to the questions ahead of time using a scheduler like TweetDeck or HootSuite (but don't forget to use A1, A2, etc. and #tptSMsurge). Links are encouraged, so be sure to use a link shortener like tinyurl, bitly, goo.gl or ow.ly Just visit one of those links and paste your long link to shorten it for Twitter. Using images is also encouraged when relevant.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use the hashtag #tptSMsurge, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means TPT buyers, students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
Got questions? Leave a comment below or here in this Google Form.
Be sure to spread the word to any TPTers who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to continuing to connect with you during #tptSMsurge!